It is 1942. Britain is at War. The children are received at Holdenby Evacuee Centre. A selection of characters will then teach them a variety of hands on activities that will help them become more useful evacuees:
- Mrs North will show how to make Woolton Pie, a range of other seasonal wartime foods and explain the weekly ration.
- Mrs Fortescue-Oliver needs help with her knitting and rag rugs for her Make-Do-and-Mend Drive.
- Stella, our land army girl, or Mr Jampton, our Air Raid Warden, will show you how to keep safe - Air Raid Shelter and Gas Masks.
- The Major, convalescing from a war wound, will talk about the items he carries in his kitbag or help with safety matters.
- Commander Bennett, of the St John Ambulance will teach you some emergency First Aid.
After lunch there is a sing-along to cheer everyone up before the children go to their host families.
This project covers various parts of the National Curriculum KS1 and KS2